Friday, December 19, 2008

Thai Chili (Chinatown, 12/18/2008) - Nice n' Cheap

I'm still working out whether to post a review of every restaurant I go to or only the truly notable. In the interest of keeping my momentum going, I'll err on the side of over-inclusiveness for now. Either way, however, I'm betting that you can see where this is going.

I met friends Shelia and Dan at this plastic version of a Thai restaurant, located off the mega-atrium in the Verizon Center complex. Sheila and Dan are regulars at this place. It's easy, it's close to their place, it's an affordable option for lunch and dinner, and, to hear them tell it, you never have to wait for a table. They boast a big menu with all of the standard pan-asian options - pad everything, curries, dumplings, wontons and plenty of lemongrass. They also have a full sushi menu, an arena I rarely enter for dinner.

As far as run-o-the-mill Thai places, it pretty much lands right in the middle. It has little to no charm, feeling more like a food court than an independent restaurant, but the food comes out hot and palatable. It is far from anything special, but it was in no way offensive and it was priced appropriately.

I ordered the Beef Lad Na. I'm on a broad noodle kick - what can I say? The description said that it was served in light brown gravy sauce, but, as you can see in the picture, it pretty much came as a soup. The sauce itself had a nice, salty taste, though not very interesting. The beef was predictably overcooked, but it was so soaked in sauce that it was still tender. The highlight of the dish was definitely the noodles. I love lad na when the noodles have been pan-seared, creating little patches of smokey crust.
I walked out only $20 lighter, including a pretty generous tip - no small feat for a restaurant downtown. I'm not going to go out of my way to return to Thai Chili, but if I somehow find myself there in the future, I won't be too scared. The service was fast and responsive, and some of the chef's suggestions and vegetarian options looked downright interesting.
Maybe next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home